07 Jun Avocado Stuffed Chicken
I’ve made this a few times now, and every time it is a BIG time crowd pleaser. This recipe isn’t too difficult. It does take some time to assemble the chicken, but it is worth it. Plus, the wrapped chicken looks so good and you will feel like a pro in the kitchen. Tonight after dinner, my husband turned to me and said, “Thanks honey, that was delicious. What good flavors. You could seriously serve that in a restaurant!” With that, I just had to share. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. I served the chicken with cilantro lime rice and corn on the cob.
First, mash the avocado and add diced tomato and seasonings.
Either make your own bread crumbs (I use Rice Chex with Italian seasoning) or use gluten free panko crumbs.
Place chicken in plastic bag and pound with mallet until flat.
Spoon avocado mixture on each chicken breast.
Carefully roll up each chicken breast and secure with toothpicks. Dip rolled chicken in egg and coat with breadcrumbs. Place in foil lined baking dish and cook for 30-45 mins., depending on the size of chicken breast. I usually cover with foil after 25-30 mins. to prevent burning.
- 4 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1 ¼- 1 ½ total weight)
- 1 avocado
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- 1 diced roma tomatoes (about ¼ cup)
- 1 ½ tsp lime juice
- ¾ tsp salt, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 c. breadcrumbs (I use crushed chex for gluten free option)
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place chicken breasts in plastic bag and pound with mallet until thin and flat.
- Mash avocado in a bowl and add tomato, onion powder, lime juice, and ½ tsp. salt.
- Spoon avocado mixture onto chicken pieces and roll up chicken. Starting with skinniest edge. Secure with toothpicks.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine breadcrumbs, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, remaining salt, and pepper.
- Roll chicken in eggs and then dip chicken in breadcrumbs.
- Set chicken into foiled baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Cooking time will vary depending on size of chicken breast. If using thicker chicken, it could take 45 minutes.