07 Jun Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
This is one of the healthiest desserts there is. Chia seeds are a superfood and are so good for you. Seriously. Here are some fun facts for you foodies.
- In just 1 oz or 2 tbsp., there are 4 grams of protein and 11 grams of fiber and only 1 gram of carbohydrates.
- Chia seeds are loaded with antioxidants and omega 3 fatty acids (ALA).
- Chia seeds are high in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and protein, which are all important for bone health.
- Chia seeds can lower blood pressure.
- Chia seeds can improve exercise performance, just as much as any sports drink.
I’ve been trying to find ways to sneak them into more of my foods and I absolutely love this recipe. Chia pudding is my new favorite dish. Everyone in our family thought it was delicious. I love how easy and healthy this recipe is, but tastes like a dessert. Great for those times when you are craving chocolate, but want to stay with something healthy. Did I mention it is so easy? You don’t even have to turn on your stove. It does take some planning ahead since it needs to chill in the refrigerator, but such a great treat! My son thought he deserved a “treat” today for his good behavior, so I rewarded him with this. I would much rather have him choosing this for a treat than a piece of candy. This recipe is vegan and is great for those who may feel “dessert” deprived due to an allergy.
Other ways to incorporate chia seeds into your diet.
- Used as egg replacers
- Added to baked goods
- Sprinkle on yogurt, oatmeal/hot cereal, vegetables, or rice dishes
- Used to thicken sauces
- 1 ¼ c. almond milk
- ¼ c. chia seeds
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 -2 tbsp. maple syrup or honey
- Place all ingredients into a small mason jar and refrigerate overnight or for at least 4 hours.