14 Aug Cherry Broccoli Quinoa Salad
Posted at 01:43h in appetizer, dairy free, gluten free, lunch, refined sugar free, side dish, soy free, vegan, vegetarian
I’ve been experimenting with cherries and this is a salad recipe I came up with. It’s crunchy and a great mixture of different flavors- a perfect salad to take to a BBQ this summer.
Cherry Broccoli Quinoa Salad
Author: Brooke Law
Serves: 4-6 servings
- 2 c. chopped broccoli
- 1 c. cherries, hailed and pitted
- ½ c. quinoa (not cooked)
- 1 c. chicken or vegetable broth
- ¼ c. chopped or sliced almonds
- 1 avocado
- juice from 1 lemon
- ¼ c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ c. cilantro
- ¼ c. apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp. honey or agave
- salt/pepper to taste
- Bring vegetable or chicken stock to a boil. Stir in quinoa. Reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is soft and the broth is absorbed.
- While quinoa is cooking, steam broccoli. Be careful not to overcook. Broccoli should still be a little crunchy.
- Pit cherries and cut in half.
- Allow quinoa and broccoli to cool.
- To make the dressing, combine dressing ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add a few tbsp. of water if you like a thinner dressing.
- Stir quinoa, cherries, and broccoli. Add almonds and drizzle with dressing.
The dressing will only keep for a few days. The flavor will change as it ages. It is best to use fresh.