18 Nov Gluten Free, Vegan Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Pie is the ultimate traditional Thanksgiving dessert. By now, you all know that I am crazy for pumpkin. I was so excited to create a pumpkin pie recipe that my entire family could enjoy. The pie filling is naturally sweetened and doesn’t have any dairy products. I used a gluten free pie crust that doesn’t contain any eggs! The coconut oil used in the crust makes it extra flaky. The crust holds well together. This Gluten Free, Vegan Pumpkin Pie is delicious and is the perfect dessert to serve for anyone with special diet restrictions. Don’t deprive yourself of a delicious Thanksgiving dessert.
I steamed my own pumpkin in my Instant Pot and purred it in my Vitamix Blender. The Instant Pot saved SO much time!I rolled out the pie crust and trimmed off the excess dough with my kitchen scissors. This gave it a nice, clean edge.Then, I used a spoon to decorated the edges. Filled the pie with pumpkin puree and cooked for 10 minutes at 450 and then 60 minutes at 350. I put a pie crust protector around the edges after 30 minutes to keep the crust from burning. Aluminum foil also works great. Let pie cool and serve!
- 2 c. pumpin puree
- ¼ c. maple syrup
- ½ c. honey or additional maple syrup
- ¾ c. almond milk
- 1 tsp.ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 c.gluten free flour blend
- 2 tsp. xanthan gum (if not in blend)
- 2 tbsp. coconut sugar
- 6 tbsp. coconut oil
- ½ c. cold water
- 4 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- For pie crust, combine flour, xanthan gum, and coconut sugar.
- Cut in coconut oil.
- Stir in apple cider vinegar.
- Stir in water a few tbsp. at a time.
- Wrap crust in plastic wrap and store in refrigerator.
- While pie crust chills, combine pie filling.
- If using homemade pumpkin puree, place pumpkin slices in an instant pot and steam for 10 minutes. Remove from instant pot, and let cool.
- Remove skins and blend pumpkin.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- In a large bowl, combine pumpkin puree, almond milk, syrup, honey/agave, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. Stir to combine.
- After crust has chilled for 30-60 minutes, roll our crust and place in pie tin.
- Trim off extra pie dough around the edges and decorate pie crust as desired.
- Pour pumpkin mix into pie.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until middle is set.
I used the following flour blend: 1¼ c. bean flour or coconut flour, 1 c. brown rice flour, 1 c. potato starch, and 1 c. tapioca starch.
The pie crust does not have to be refrigerated, but it does help to have the pie crust chilled when rolling it out.
Pumpkin puree can be canned or homemade.
To save time, make pie crust ahead of time. Crust can be refrigerated overnight.
Pumpkin pie can also be made the day before and be stored in the refrigerator.